Blog #1: Omeros- Tourism

“What use is / Dennis’s devotion when their own ministers / cash in on casinos with their old excuses / of more jobs?” (Walcott 29).

“She was selling herself like the island, without / any pain, and the village did not seem to care / that it was dying in its change, the way it whored / away a simple life that would soon disappear / while its children writhed on the sidewalk to the sounds / of the DJ’s fresh water- Yankee-cool-Creole” (Walcott 111).

“the gold sea / flat as a credit card, extending its line / to a beach that now looked just like everywhere else, / Greece or Hawaii” (Walcott 229).

All three of these quotes display the plight of St. Lucia since it has become a tourist attraction. Not only do tourists rely on St. Lucia and its residents to give them a great vacation, but St. Lucia and the residents rely on the tourist’s to provide income and economic advantages. The sea that is so much a part of St. Lucia is seen as being as “flat as a credit card”, a credit card being the main thing tourists really need to travel to St. Lucia. With this credit card they can purchase themselves time to lie on the beach and enjoy the sea, not even having to connect to it as the people of St. Lucia do. Their credit limits are the only connection they need. St. Lucia now looks the same as “everywhere else”, it is no longer distinguishable. Whatever made St. Lucia its own place with its own importance is not in the forefront any longer. St. Lucia is now primarily seen as a vacation destination just like “Greece or Hawaii”. It does not matter that St. Lucia is its own entity, it is now just a vacation spot for Americans.

The people of St. Lucia, even the ministers, now rely on the income that American tourists bring in for them. Ministers “cash in on casinos” saying that it will provide people with more jobs. Maud Plunkett does not see why her husband Dennis should be devoted to St. Lucia when the native people are not. Maud, who lives an upper class life, cannot know how the lower class people of St. Lucia need money, no matter where they get it. Helen and the island of St. Lucia both sell themselves for economic gain. Helen sells herself to the people watching her and the island sells itself to the tourists. The islands old ways and true identity are dying in the process. The old way of life and the true history of the island become obsolete as a tourist based economic system takes over. The “Yankees” have come in and St. Lucia is changed.

7 Responses to Blog #1: Omeros- Tourism

1. Judy Jones says:

When you take your eyes off of your values you’ve lost them forever.

2. This blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!!
    Finally I’ve found something which helped me. Thanks!

3. This paragraph presents clear idea designed for
    the new users of blogging, that really hoow too
    do blogging and site-building.

Herre is my web page … wrinkless cream and luxoderm reviews

4. australia says:

Hi outstanding blog! Does running a blog like this take a great deal
    of work? I’ve very little understanding of coding however I had been hoping to start
    my own blog soon. Anyhow, should you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please
    share. I know this is off topic but I just
    needed to ask. Thanks a lot!

5. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I
    find this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand.

It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me.
    I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try
    to get the hang of it!

Stop by my weblog: תראה מה מצא

6. I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your site.
    Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility issues? A number of my blog
    readers have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera.

Do you have any advice to help fix this issue?

Here is my web blog :: 3 stone journey diamond ring

7. Hi there, for all time i used to check blog posts here in the early hours in the daylight, because i love to
    find out more and more.

my web site קורס שיווק באינטרנט ג’ון ברייס