Blog #36: Free Write- Graduate School

I have always thought that I would go to graduate school. I never really thought of NOT going. As a NYC teacher I would be required to get my masters after five years of teaching anyway so I always just figured that I would go to graduate school for Education and English. The extremely large and scary dissertation paper is definitely intimidating, but I always knew that I would still want to go to grad school. However, last week I went to an English career forum facilitated by a few English professors at our school. There reactions to graduate school honestly made me very nervous. By the end of the discussion, they were basically suggesting that we do not go to graduate school unless we really want to or have to. There was a lot of discussion about how going to graduate school for English is a great deal of work and stress for a subject that has the least guarantee/chance of getting a job. For professors to come down on the “no” side of graduate school really stuck with me. It made me think about my future and if graduate school is going to be worth it.

Also, I have been going back and forth between my choices for graduate school if I decide to go. I already have loans out for my undergrad at QC that I will have trouble paying off and this would even be my least expensive option for grad school. I am thinking of going to Adelphi, but I don’t know if I want to pay so much money.